St Barnabas Hospice Lincolnshire
35th Birthday

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment is money to help you with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to help with your personal care, or you have physical difficulties walking, or need someone with you when walking outdoors and you are under 65 when you claim.

If you are aged 65 or over, you may be able to get Attendance Allowance instead. You may not think of yourself as disabled, but if you have a health condition or illness that means you need the sort of help we tell you about in these notes, you may be able to get Personal Independence Payment.

Personal Independence Payment has 2 separate components Care and Mobility.

Your disability may be physical, or you may have mental-health problems, learning difficulties, sight, hearing, or speech difficulties.

Frequently Asked Questions

You may get Personal Independence Payment if:

  • You are under 65 when you make your claim
  • Your disability means that you need help with your personal care or you need someone to supervise you for your own, or someone else’s safety and / or
  • You have difficulty getting around outdoors and
  • You have needed that help for at least three months and likely to continue needing this help for a further nine months.

Even if you are not actually getting the help you need, you can still get Personal Independence Payment.

‘Help with personal care’ means day-to-day help with things like:

  • washing or getting into or out of a bath or shower
  • dressing
  • eating
  • going to, or using the toilet, or
  • telling people what you need, or making yourself understood
    cooking yourself a meal – this includes things like using hot pans and kitchen utensils safely and planning your meal, or getting motivated to do these things.

‘Supervise’ means that you need someone to watch over you to avoid substantial danger to yourself, or other people. This could mean:

  • when you take medicines, or have treatment
  • keeping you away from danger that you may not know is there
  • avoiding danger you could face because you cannot control the way you behave, and
  • stopping you from hurting yourself, or other people

You may need help with personal care, or supervision because you:

  • find it hard to move your arms, or legs, or have no control over them
  • get breathless easily, or are in pain, or
  • have behaviour difficulties, mental-health problems, or you get confused.

Examples of this kind of difficulty include things like:

  • you cannot walk at all outdoors
  • you can only walk a short way on a reasonably flat surface, before:
  • you feel severe discomfort, or
  • you become unsteady, or
  • you get short of breath

If you think this benefit is appropriate to you please call us:

St Barnabas Hospice Welfare Team on 01476 513544 if you would like our assistance.